6/30/2011

Design History - Week 9

As we finish up with week nine, we come to the end of our book "Meggs History of Graphic Design". There were some very interesting pictures, graphic and people in this book. This week I have picked Paula Scher's “Swatch Watch” poster made in 1985.
Paula Scher's Swatch Ad appropriates Herbert Matter's well-known 1934 Swiss travel poster as its source. The statement had an enormous impact among graphic designers. The notion is that nothing original can be made (that has not been made already). In addition, he copies it and change it a little... he put in his only little touch. In some ways there are very similar, unless you look closely. The faces are different, the type is different color, and the post itself is a different color. As I was doing my research I came around lots of designer that have copy other designer’s ideas and change them around (and mark them as there only design… it’s funny how these people can just away with these and not get caught. I always remember my high school & college teacher telling us not to copy other people’s answers or design. In addition, here we are learning about Paula Scher's Swatch Ad vs. Herbert Matter's well-known 1934 Swiss travel poster.

All I have to say is INTERESTING!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment