6/17/2011

week 7 - design history blog



Jean Carlu artwork is very interesting. When I saw this artwork, I saw manufacturing, factories, labor, hard work, and men. My guess was this was 1960's... but as I did my research, I found out that this was during World War 2 (around the 1940's). I really like the colors of this artwork. Not to bright and good use of gradient. This artwork does not show the hard too well... but with the gradient, colors and shape... it puts your artwork together.

In that period, he designed his first poster in art deco style. According to our book (Megg's History of Graphic Design)... Jean Carlu, poster for the office of Emergency management, 1941. Visual and verbal elements are in separable interlocked into an intense symbol of productively and labor.

According to the Internet... Jean Carlu was a French graphic designer, specialized in posters. He made posters during World War II to promote an increase in American production. In 1941, he received an award for the New York Art Directors Club for his poster, “America’s Answer!”

This is where I found the picture above. (http://www.designrelated.com/inspiration/view/Karen/entry/1778/jean-carlu)

No comments:

Post a Comment